Skip to main content

$10,000, then what?

OCTOBER 17, 2014 | BY  | FILED UNDER LETTERS 

Dear Editor,
Despite the fact that it appears to and may very well be a praiseworthy act on the government’s part, while I’m elated to see fellow Guyanese (parents) dressed in smiles, I could not help but wonder what’s next.
The NCN nightly news on October 14, 2014 captioned their piece “paving the way for a better life all for Guyanese children,” but we need to ask ourselves if that is indeed so. As much as I aim not at dragging the family and inner circle of those involved in the October mortification of the renowned prestige high school back into the limelight, it’s hard to overlook what is a precise reflection of the major social epidemic that plagues’ our schools and educational system as a whole and as such should serve as an eye-opener. Our education system remains broken; while our “parents” become $10,000 richer is not my idea of a solution. Rather much like the Speaker’s ‘scandal’, the APNU’s-Linden embarrassment (which was unfortunate)  and the prolonged Rodney trial and others too numerous to mention, the $10,000 grants are just another sad attempt to distract the Guyanese public.
This I deemed as totally unacceptable and so I wish to urge the Public to force the relevant authoritative figures back to the drawing board. We no longer need diversions and pathetic windows to embezzle large sums of hard earned tax payer’s dollars. Rather give us higher paid and higher qualified teachers, competent ministry officials, caring and dedicated welfare officers, much need counselling groups for parents and students and well equipped learning institutions; and then maybe, just maybe WE can accept the governments financial grants or rather the government’s one month transportation allowance.
Mr Mikhail Hilliman

Replies sorted oldest to newest

$10,000 [US$50] is going to pass through fingers like sand. By the time general elections take place, that chicken feed will be history, just a fleeting pleasant memory. The parents of those kids know that if they don't get US$$ remittances from relatives abroad, they cannot make ends meet. But the PPP is desperate now, so nothing else matters. This is the giveaway season.

FM

The opposition loyalists want to play down this idea as a PPP gimmicks. Mr. Granger said he would like to see government provide free transportation for school children in rural areas, and I fully agree with him 100%. Anything that would ease the burden and encourage children to pursue their education is an investment in our country's future.

FM
Originally Posted by Cobra:

The opposition loyalists want to play down this idea as a PPP gimmicks. Mr. Granger said he would like to see government provide free transportation for school children in rural areas, and I fully agree with him 100%. Anything that would ease the burden and encourage children to pursue their education is an investment in our country's future.

There is no way of playing this up. From slogan to timing it is clearly a vote buying scheme.

FM
Originally Posted by Stormborn:

There is no way of playing this up. From slogan to timing it is clearly a vote buying scheme.

Listen, I can accept what you're saying is true, but it's NOT an illegal scheme. The word is political strategy. Tell me if I am wrong.

FM
Originally Posted by Stormborn:

Listen, I can accept what you're saying is true, but it's NOT an illegal scheme. The word is political strategy. Tell me if I am wrong.

It is not the PPP's money to do with it as they please. Money allocated by the state is to be spent wisely and towards needs. It is not to be given away on a whim "because we care" bull. There is a lot that could be done with this money that would produce more tangible results.

FM
Originally Posted by Gilbakka:

$10,000 [US$50] is going to pass through fingers like sand. By the time general elections take place, that chicken feed will be history, just a fleeting pleasant memory. The parents of those kids know that if they don't get US$$ remittances from relatives abroad, they cannot make ends meet. But the PPP is desperate now, so nothing else matters. This is the giveaway season.

But at the end of the day is the people US$50 dollars that they contribute to the coffers.  This is only an operation to pay them back their fair due and they deserve more.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.