Skip to main content

From journalist Imran Khan

10 reasons why the $10,000 (US$50) is nothing but political gimmickry:

1. Thousands upon thousands of people are living in squalor and extreme poverty in Guyana - Plastic City, Tiger Bay, Albouystown, Anna Catherina, Bare Root etc; there is little to no hope of their conditions improving owing to widescale mismanagement, corruption, discrimination and economic victimization.

2. Health care is in a disastrous state - mothers in labour regularly dying at public health care institutions; lack of medicine and drugs at hospitals and health centres; persons with minor medical conditions dying in the care of public hospitals; pregnant women having to deliver babies in the washrooms of public hospitals; pregnant women having to share beds at the nation's premier medical institution.

3. Thousands without potable water in their homes.

4. Thousands who receive potable water provided with a nasty, grimy, thick sludgy brew; and even this being rationed with long daily periods when the *water* supply is turned off.

5. Hundreds of thousands having to suffer blackouts on a daily and nightly basis.

6. Unemployment rates sky high; thousands of young people without jobs; thousands of seasonal and other workers losing jobs and economic opportunity on an annual basis.

7. Guyana's suicide rate highest in the world. HIGHEST IN THE WORLD!

8. Corruption at an all time high. Guyana among the most corrupt state in the western hemisphere and one of the most corrupt in the world. A state of complete lawlessness pervades. No justice for the poor. Murderers with money and connections get off scot free. One man who was recorded on video shooting another man to death walks free; another murder accused had a high end motor cycle waiting for him after his court appointment and he rode off afterward, seemingly knowing that he would have been set free before the court proceedings had begun.

9. 7 out of 10 school children not being able to read properly; education in a state of continued disaster.

10. Migration rates continuing to soar with persons leaving for just about anywhere else and enduring inhuman conditions, including living in fowl pens and overcrowded cramped apartments, just to escape the misery of life in Guyana.

This is the reality of life in Guyana for the masses. The privileged few with connections to the cabal in power live a life of luxury by leaching off of state resources and flagrantly brandish their lifestyle to the poor and powerless.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Stormborn:

These horrible people have to go.

You should make a case why you think giving away $10,000 cash grant to school children is a bad idea? Saying the PPP must go for caring is a cheap shot. They already provided free transportation for G/T commuters. OLPF is a grand slam success. Tell me something, Stormy!

FM
Originally Posted by RiffRaff:

I agree that they should not spend so much money to erect those billboards. This makes it look like that 10K is a bribe for votes...

* Get with the program Riffraff---it is a bribe for votes.

* Don't forget---this is the PPP goal.

* 50+1%

* You are free to remain in the 50-1%

Rev

FM

I agree that they should not spend so much money to erect those billboards. This makes it look like that 10K is a bribe for votes...

Billboards are there to give people information, or to post advertisement. I didn't see anything that says bribery. Everything will look how your mind works, RiffRaff.

FM
Originally Posted by Nehru:

Nah...I have to keep the shack on LI in order...I'll be using this to direct operations

Yeah let the Poor, young Afros face the FIRE.  I dont blame you Bhasi, who stupid stupid.

Poor Indos will also join up

I never saw that before but I will wait and see.

Nehru
Originally Posted by Cobra:

You should make a case why you think giving away $10,000 cash grant to school children is a bad idea? Saying the PPP must go for caring is a cheap shot. They already provided free transportation for G/T commuters. OLPF is a grand slam success. Tell me something, Stormy!

They are to fill need not give hand outs for votes. Imagine Obama giving away 50 to families for no assigned purpose except he states "Because we care". He would be impeached.

OLPF is a massive failure. They got 25K freebies ( exchange for logging concessions etc?) trashy netbooks ( Verizon used to give   away better  with a FIOS signup) to ignorant people with no support and not way to generate output so those are big game boy machines or convenient doorstops.

FM

They are to fill need not give hand outs for votes. Imagine Obama giving away 50 to families for no assigned purpose except he states "Because we care". He would be impeached.

OLPF is a massive failure. They got 25K freebies ( exchange for logging concessions etc?) trashy netbooks ( Verizon used to give   away better  with a FIOS signup) to ignorant people with no support and not way to generate output so those are big game boy machines or convenient doorstops.

sTORMY, rEADING AND UNDERSTANDING IS NOT YOUR cUP OF TEA?? IT IS AN EDUCATIONAL GRANT. IT IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS YOU MAKE IT.

Nehru

sTORMY, rEADING AND UNDERSTANDING IS NOT YOUR cUP OF TEA?? IT IS AN EDUCATIONAL GRANT. IT IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS YOU MAKE IT.

What is yours. It is an educational grant in a voucher given away out of turn? Which of these parent will spend it on their children educational tool kit? And again....what need is being met?

You and these dumb ass need to read a little on the use of vouchers and their efficiency. We had a long discussion on them here between the republicans and the democrats and that is still on going. The main point here is this is bribe money hence the slogan "Because we care....care about what? this a subtle hint at they have a patron. It is not "Because education matters"  or "Because a book and pencil is a baby step to success" etc. This is a bribe plain and simple.

It could be better handled by providing each child with a education care kit on first day of school. I suggest you read before you open your big yap and not grasp there is a long legacy of vouchers being abject failures to produce result except if it is for school fees to one of the student choosing.

FM
Last edited by Former Member

What is yours. It is an educational grant in a voucher given away out of turn? Which of these parent will spend it on their children educational tool kit? And again....what need is being met? You and these dumb ass need to read a little on the use of vouchers and their efficiency. We had a long discussion on them here between the republicans and the democrats and that is still on going. The main point here is this is bribe money hence the slogan because we care....care about what? It is not because education matters or because a book and pencil is a baby step to success etc. This is a bribe plain and simple. It could be better handled by providing each child with a education care kit on first day of school. I suggest you read before you open your big yap and not grasp there is a long legacy of vouchers being abject failures to produce result except if it is for school fees to one of the student choosing.

You are really a CERTIFIED ASS. THis great USA gives out THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in Vouchers/Checks to Students!!!!

Nehru

What is yours. It is an educational grant in a voucher given away out of turn? Which of these parent will spend it on their children educational tool kit? And again....what need is being met? You and these dumb ass need to read a little on the use of vouchers and their efficiency. We had a long discussion on them here between the republicans and the democrats and that is still on going. The main point here is this is bribe money hence the slogan because we care....care about what? It is not because education matters or because a book and pencil is a baby step to success etc. This is a bribe plain and simple. It could be better handled by providing each child with a education care kit on first day of school. I suggest you read before you open your big yap and not grasp there is a long legacy of vouchers being abject failures to produce result except if it is for school fees to one of the student choosing.

You are really a CERTIFIED ASS. THis great USA gives out THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in Vouchers/Checks to Students!!!!

It give designated purposefully for education and not as a check with a note from "Obama cares". It is for school of choice not where the parent can pocket it and buy salara. Who the hell are you trying to gull that the PPP is practicing their usual vote buying scheme. I bet Amerinds will be getting chain saws and ATV galore soon!

FM
Last edited by Former Member

It give designated purposefully for education and not as a check with a note from "Obama cares". It is for school of choice not where the parent can pocket it and buy salara. Who the hell are you trying to gull that the PPP is practicing their usual vote buying scheme. I bet Amerinds will be getting chain saws and ATV galore soon!

You are indeed an idiot. Now I am convinced that you can only blow hot air. You are not able to realise how illiterate you are of the FACTS!!!

Nehru

You are indeed an idiot. Now I am convinced that you can only blow hot air. You are not able to realise how illiterate you are of the FACTS!!!

Going on a rant will not avoid the fact the PPP are deep into their vote buying scheme hence their concentrated effort in areas the need in the coming elections. 

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.