Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RiffRaff posted:

I said on GNI that the terrorists are hijacking Islam...several of the Muslim fellas on here disagreed with me

Ten years ago the Muslim community here kicked out the only scholar we had on the subject for agreeing with me that there should be a necessary reformation and consensus building on the faith.

FM
Mars posted:

The GNI Taliban crew will tell you that Allah created Islam and made it perfect so there's no need to reform it.

That is the notion that has to be settled. The belief that it is perfect must be commensurate with the knowledge of what in it is perfect without saying it is and not questioning. Today if one questions one is labeled an apostate and sanctioned. The religion must tolerate inquiry into the understanding the book contained. It must develop a sound collection of critical scholars who can write and state their opinion without offending some mullah who can issue a fatwa that they be killed and the mindless believers do so with alacrity.  The religion need more Averroes.

FM
Kari posted:

Stormie, that Christianity vis-a-vis slavery was American. the Europeans had already abandoned that decades before the removal of its reference in the US Constitution.

Christianity all over the world rationalize plantation slavery. It differed from debt or other form of slavery where one can get out by paying the dues or fines. It rationalized defacto enslavement for eternity. Its lingering on in America did not lessen its effect on the world. Some 40 million natives and 14 million africans felt its boot. Other cultures did not fare better. Christianity was a disease for a long time before it became a salutary creed.

FM
Stormborn posted:
RiffRaff posted:

I said on GNI that the terrorists are hijacking Islam...several of the Muslim fellas on here disagreed with me

Ten years ago the Muslim community here kicked out the only scholar we had on the subject for agreeing with me that there should be a necessary reformation and consensus building on the faith.

More like he kicked himself out.

Is he still in Southern California?

Chief

KariSenior Member

Stormie, that Christianity vis-a-vis slavery was American. the Europeans had already abandoned that decades before the removal of its reference in the US Constitution.

Prior to the reformation there were councils on what is the basis of the faith.  Those began in Nicene in 324. The reformation initiated the shattering of the  notion that the ordinary man needs intercession of the prelature and pope for salvation.  Prior to that it could only be said to be achieved by word of a priest. ( of course you could buy it!) It also made it possible for official translations of the bible to be made in the language of the various congregations.

One must accept that modern Christianity has only achieved its current form on non aggressive religious creed in the middle of the last century. Prior to t hat is was seen as a white man's religion and it was the white mans burden to bring the backward unto Christ at every cost hence the genocide against the indians.

Note Geronimo died in the 1909, Crazy Horse was murder only 3 decades prior -  one year after Little Big horn. This culminated the separation of native peoples from their lands. Slavery took some 3 more decades from the indian removal act to be abolished by the 12 13 amendment. And the only justification for all of that madness  was Christianity.

Islam needs a reformation but lets hope it is not as hypocritical as the christian one.

I deleted and re-posted this because I had an error. I said slavery was abolished by the 12 amendment instead of the 13th

Kari posted:

FM
Stormborn posted:
Mars posted:

The GNI Taliban crew will tell you that Allah created Islam and made it perfect so there's no need to reform it.

That is the notion that has to be settled. The belief that it is perfect must be commensurate with the knowledge of what in it is perfect without saying it is and not questioning. Today if one questions one is labeled an apostate and sanctioned. The religion must tolerate inquiry into the understanding the book contained. It must develop a sound collection of critical scholars who can write and state their opinion without offending some mullah who can issue a fatwa that they be killed and the mindless believers do so with alacrity.  The religion need more Averroes.

Let's not confuse the question of intent versus the practice of religion.

Kari

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.