Skip to main content

$15,000 for photocopying papers for mid-term tests

February 12, 2015 | By | Filed Under Letters 

DEAR EDITOR, I have a ward attending Grade 6 at a city Primary School (name provided). She informed me that her class teacher demanded that each pupil in her class pay five-hundred dollars to meet the cost of photocopying their mid-term test papers. Offering four subjects at the National Grade 6 Examinations in 2015, I reason that with Papers 1 and 2 to consider at most, each pupil will be required to subscribe to the cost of ten pages of photocopying. At an open rate of $12 per single page copy this bill should read $120. However, most photocopying facilities have special rates of $8 per single page copy for educational purposes. The demand for $500 per pupil is not justified and requires an immediate response from the administration of the school. In addition, pupils are threatened that those who do not pay the amount demanded will not be allowed to take the test. At a Parent-Teacher meeting it was announced that all monies collected for and on behalf of the school can only be done with the authority of that body. Is the Parent-Teacher body of this school aware of this situation and did it in fact authorize this amount demanded In a class of 30 pupils at $500 per pupil the amount demanded is $15,000 for photocopying papers for the mid-term tests. This is mind-boggling to say the least. I demand an urgent investigation into this matter. By way of this letter I signal my intention not to pay the amount demanded and dare that my ward not be allowed to take the mid-term test. Mahadeo

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If all parents were like Mahadeo, teachers would be reasonable with their requests for parental subsidy of school supplies.

In high school in 1968, my English Language teacher asked each pupil for 25 cents each week for a stencilled comprehension exercise taken from a book only he had. I was happy to poney up the bob and got my reward when I passed English Language at the GCE 'O'Level exams.

Some teachers are honest and honourable and ask students for sufficient money to defray the cost of materials, not to make a profit for themselves.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.