Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

15 percent of Guyana's reptiles and amphibians found nowhere else

mongabay.com, February 21, 2013, Source

The giant monkey frog is among the herp species found in Guyana.

Fifteen percent of Guyana's 324 known species of reptiles and amphibians are found nowhere else in the world, reports a comprehensive new assessment published in the journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.

The study, conducted by American and Canadian herpetologists, documents 137 species of frogs and toads, 11 worm-like caecilians, 4 crocodilians, 4 amphisbaenians or worm-lizards, 56 lizards, 97 snakes, and 15 turtles in Guyana, a small country in northwestern South America. 27 percent of amphibian species are endemic to Guyana.

The paper estimates that perhaps two dozen species of herps in Guyana remain undescribed by scientists. Of the reptiles and amphibians that have been described, many remain poorly known.

Charles J. Cole, Carol R. Townsend, Robert P. Reynolds, Ross D. MacCulloch, and Amy Lathrop (2013) Amphibians and reptiles of Guyana, South America: illustrated keys, annotated species accounts, and a biogeographic synopsis. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington: January 2013, Vol. 125, No. 4, pp. 317-578.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Demerara_Guy:
Originally Posted by Wally:

Good article DG. I never knew some of this stuff.

I think Guyana is the only country that has the bush master snake. But I am not sure.

Wally, I believe you are correct about the bush master.

I believe that you need to read some more. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachesis_(genus)

Lachesis (genus)

Common names: bushmasters.[2]

Lachesis is a genus of venomous pitvipers found in remote forested areas of Central and South America. The generic name refers to one of the Three Fates in Greek mythology who determined the length of the thread of life.[2] Three species are currently recognized.[3]

Mars
Originally Posted by God:
Originally Posted by Wally:

Good article DG. I never knew some of this stuff.

I think Guyana is the only country that has the bush master snake. But I am not sure.

Wally, I believe you are correct about the bush master.

I believe that you need to read some more. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachesis_(genus)

Lachesis (genus)

Common names: bushmasters.[2]

Lachesis is a genus of venomous pitvipers found in remote forested areas of Central and South America. The generic name refers to one of the Three Fates in Greek mythology who determined the length of the thread of life.[2] Three species are currently recognized.[3]

chalk it up to old age and senility as what precludes the expected due diligence before posting crap.

FM
Originally Posted by Stormborn:
chalk it up to old age and senility as what precludes the expected due diligence before posting crap.

Wonderful insight personally expressed of yourself. 

I do not deny that at 53 I am ambling into that twilight stage of existence.  That being said I can with some clarity speculate on the potential to live another 30years. You are evidence of that. Alas 10 more for you is wishful thinking and actually like winning the lottery if you get there. In any event, if I die now I would definitely be a prettier corpse.

FM

I do not deny that at 53 I am ambling into that twilight stage of existence.

That being said I can with some clarity speculate on the potential to live another 30years. You are evidence of that.

Alas 10 more for you is wishful thinking and actually like winning the lottery if you get there.

In any event, if I die now I would definitely be a prettier corpse.

Life indeed has many challenges, and one does not really know with certainty that s/he will be alive the next day.

I wish you all the best in health and other areas as you continue in life.

From all indications provided by my doctors after my recent medical check-up, I am in perfect health with no issues.

Also indicated by my doctors, if no one knows my age, they would believe that, at the most, I am fifty ( 50 ) years of age.

FM

I do not deny that at 53 I am ambling into that twilight stage of existence.

That being said I can with some clarity speculate on the potential to live another 30years. You are evidence of that.

Alas 10 more for you is wishful thinking and actually like winning the lottery if you get there.

In any event, if I die now I would definitely be a prettier corpse.

Life indeed has many challenges, and one does not really know with certainty that s/he will be alive the next day.

I wish you all the best in health and other areas as you continue in life.

From all indications provided by my doctors after my recent medical check-up, I am in perfect health with no issues.

Also indicated by my doctors, if no one knows my age, they would believe that, at the most, I am fifty ( 50 ) years of age.

some body is filling your mind with superficial bullshit.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.