Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

18-year-old Emma Raducanu wins US Open

Emma Raducanu is the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam and has done so without dropping a set

Emma Raducanu ended Britain’s 44-year wait for a women’s Grand Slam singles champion as she beat Leylah Fernandez to win the US Open in the most thrilling style.

The 18-year-old ended her scarcely believable run in New York with a 6-4 6-3 win over her 19-year-old Canadian opponent in a high-quality final.

Raducanu threw herself to the floor in disbelief as she fired down an ace to conclude what has been the most remarkable journey.

Raducanu served for the match at 5-3 but cut her leg as she went break point down, leading to a medical time-out and a clearly irritated Fernandez expressing her frustration to the match official.

However, Raducanu shrugged off the delay, saving a further break point before closing out her third championship point.

The two shared a warm hug before Raducanu headed up the stairs at Arthur Ashe Stadium to celebrate with her support box.

Raducanu was cheered on by an emotional Virginia Wade, who was the last British woman to win a major trophy at Wimbledon in 1977.

“It means so much to have Virginia Wade here and also Tim Henman,” Raducanu said in her on-court speech.

“They are British icons and for me to follow in their footsteps gave me the belief I could do it.”

She will take home £1.8m in prize money, rise to 23 in the world rankings and will become the British number one on Monday.

Raducanu will also know that she has starred in one of the biggest moments in British sporting history – and captured the imagination of the fans at home and in New York.(BBC)

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Emma Raducanu

British tennis player
Emma Raducanu on Instagram: “thank you for an amazing atmosphere & helping me into week 2 @usopen !! ❤️‍🔥”
Emma Raducanu is a British professional tennis player. She is the reigning US Open champion, has a career-high singles ranking of world No. 23, and is the current British No. 1. Wikipedia
Born: November 13, 2002 (age 18 years), Toronto
Wimbledon: 4R (2021)
Height: 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)
Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
Highest ranking: No. 150 (23 August 2021)
Prize money: US$303,376

https://www.google.com/search?...&q=Emma+Raducanu

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
FM
Are Emma Raducanu Parents British?
Roots and upbringing. Raducanu was on 13 November 2002 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Her father Ian is from Bucharest in Romania and her mother Renee is from Sheyang in China. The family moved to England when she was two years old, and she started playing tennis at five.7 hours ago

https://www.google.com/search?...&q=Emma+Raducanu

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.