Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

50th Anniversary of the Detention of PPP Activists in 1964

By NAVIN CHANDARPAL

GUYANA CHRONICLE, JUNE 13, 2014 ---

FIFTY years ago, on June 13, 1964, the British Governor of, then, British Guiana ordered the detention of 35 high ranking Political Activists without any charges or trial. 

Thirty-three were from the governing PPP; its youth arm, the PYO, and the Sugar Union, GAWU. Heading the list was the Deputy Premier, Minister Brindley Benn. Only two were from the Opposition PNC.

Those detained and kept at Sybley Hall were (in alphabetical order):
Montaz Ali, Akbar Alli, Neville Annibourne, Desmond Beckles, Samsundar Beepat, Brindley Benn, Moses Bhagwan, Charles Christopher, Manie Copane, Dalchand, George Dipchand, Victor Downer, Nathram Durbeej, Reginald Forde, Rames George, Joseph Albert Gibbs, Eric Gilbert, Maurice Herbert, Robert Jordan, Moneer Khan, Harry Lall, Rufus Low-Chee, Winston Madramootoo, Nasrudeen, Bhola Persaud, Prakash Persaud, Leslie Premdass, Pandit Ramlall, Mohamed Safee, Desmond Shepherd, Leonard (LSH) Singh, Rambarran Singh, Vincent Teekah, Sydney Thompson and Frank Wills.
The Detention Order was a deliberate major step in the British – U.S. conspiracy along with the local Opposition to remove the PPP from Government before Independence could be considered for the country.

As Dr.Cheddi Jagan points out in the ‘West on Trial’:
“On the constitutional front, the Colonial Office and the Governor assumed more and more powers. Instead of the crude gunboat suspension of 1953, there was suspension by stages.
Early in 1964, the British Government issued three Orders in Council which eroded our constitutional authority. The constitution was amended to provide for new elections in December 1964; powers held by our ministers were placed in the hands of the Governor. By mid-1964, he was virtually a dictator — he was authorised to withdraw money from the Treasury without the sanction and approval of the legislature; he assumed powers held by the Minister of Home Affairs for the registration of voters and the conduct of elections; he was put in complete control of the Emergency and of a new force, the Special Service Unit, which was no more than an arm of the police, responsibility for which rested with the Minister of Home Affairs. “Using emergency powers handed to him by the British Government but without local legislative approval, the Governor assumed the power to impose flogging and life imprisonment simply for the possession of firearms. Meanwhile, the British Army and the Opposition-controlled Volunteer Force resorted to intimidation and terror. The British Army was put above the law; its men were made immune from arrest. But the Governor could arrest and detain others without trial. “In June, came the detention of 32 PPP legislators and activists, including the Deputy Premier. This robbed the Government of its parliamentary majority and amounted to a virtual suspension of the constitution. Only 2 PNC members were detained despite the overwhelming evidence that the PNC was a terrorist organisation. “….The British Colonial Secretary and his nominee, Governor Sir Richard Luyt, justified the detention of PPP leaders and activists by falsely associating them with the disturbances which occurred in 1964. In fact, the blame for the reign of terror, arson, looting and murder that had begun in 1962 must be laid at the feet of an irresponsible Opposition, aided and abetted by business interests, a corrupt big-business-controlled press and foreign reactionary elements.”

Dr. Jagan’s description of the set of actions by the British Government points to the fact that the PPP Government was being crippled ahead of the holding of the Elections later that year in December. At the same time, the objective was to cripple the Election Machinery of the PPP as a Party by detaining many key Activists.

It must be noted also that in addition to the Detainees, other Activists were being held on trumped up charges at other locations. For example, General Secretary of the GAWU, Philomena Sahoye, was held at the New Amsterdam Prison for five months while facing a charge at the Springlands Court. She was later charged with three counts of sedition for alleged utterances directed at the queen.

When the elections were held in December, the Activists were still in Detention except for a few who were released earlier. The manipulations led to the imposition of the PNC-UF Coalition and the dictatorship and decay which characterised the first quarter century of our Nation’s existence as an independent country.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was just short of my 13th birthday when this event happened. I read the news in the newspapers and later saw posters with the photos of the PPP detainees under the slogan RELEASE THE DETAINEES NOW.
After I joined the PPP in 1969, I had the privilege of knowing 7 of the ex-detainees personally, and some of them helped to groom me in activism. They were:
[1] Manie Copain, a glass-window maker of Stewartville, WCD.
[2] Dalchand, brother of Komal Chand, of Vauxhall, WBD.
[3] Moneer Khan, who worked at Freedom House and initialed my PPP membership card.
[4] Bhola Persaud, whom I first met in 1969 on the Essequibo Coast where he served as PPP organizer.
[5] Leslie Premdass, whom I first met by chance in 1972 in a barber shop on King Street, GT. He was unemployed but later took a course in naturopathy and practised natural medicine.
[6] Harry Lall, President of GAWU, whom I assisted as a volunteer to prepare press releases in 1974-75.
[7] Vincent Teekah, whom I first met in 1970 at a PPP constituency conference in Cornelia Ida, WCD. He was a brilliant theoretician and eloquent public speaker. He mentored me in the PYO where he was First Secretary/Chairman. A fine gentleman with refined manners and cultured deportment.
I am writing honestly and fairly about these ex-detainees. Some of them later left the PPP and joined the PNC at Burnham's request, but that fact doesn't prevent me from honoring them as PPP stalwarts. They played sterling roles at a crucial period of the Party's history. To deny them their rightful place in the records would be a travesty of justice.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.