Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

30,000 inmates on hunger strike in California

As many as 30,000 inmates in California have gone on hunger strike to protest against the practice of indefinitely confining prisoners.

The protest, organized by a small group of inmates in solitary confinement at Pelican Bay State Prison near the Oregon border, focuses on policies under which prisoners are put in isolation indefinitely, some for even decades, if they are suspected of having links to prison gangs, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The prisoners at 11 state facilities started their strike on Monday by refusing breakfast and lunch, according to corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton.

The strikers want a five-year limit on such kinds of isolation as well as education, rehabilitation programs and the right to make phone calls on a monthly basis.

“The principal prisoner representatives from the PBSP SHU Short Corridor Collective Human Rights Movement do hereby present public notice that our nonviolent peaceful protest of our subjection to decades of indefinite state-sanctioned torture, via long term solitary confinement will resume today...consisting of a hunger strike/work stoppage of indefinite duration until CDCR signs a legally binding agreement meeting our demands, the heart of which mandates an end to long-term solitary confinement (as well as additional major reforms)," reads the letter, posted on Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity website. 

According to corrections policy, a hunger striker is not declared until inmates miss nine meals. The number of Monday’s protesters is far more than two years ago, when 11,600 inmates refused meals at one point.

Also, around 2,300 prisoners are not only skipping meals but they are also beginning to skip work and class.

Currently, the California prison system holds more than 10,000 prisoners in solitary confinement units, of whom dozens have spent over 20 years each in isolation.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by raymond:
Originally Posted by asj:

Will Obama forced feed them like he is doing in Guantanamo? doubt he will ever try that.

open a window once in a while and take a breath of fresh air...

The Federal Judge of the United States regard this as degrading and subhuman why are you joining with Adolf Hitler to continue the Nazi Prison Camp of Guantanamo. I expect no better from you.

FM

Massive California prison protests enter third day

About 30,000 prisoners in the U.S. state of California entered their third day of hunger strike on Wednesday, protesting their solitary confinement and other torturous conditions.

The protests, which began in two-thirds of California's prisons on Monday, focus on policies under which prisoners are kept in isolation in small windowless cells, some for decades.

Nearly 5,000 of the total 130,000 inmates in the California prison system are locked in solitary confinement units.

The protesting inmates want a five-year limit to solitary confinement and are also asking for increased education and rehabilitation programs for those kept in isolation.

The statewide prison protest was organized by inmates at Pelican Bay, the state's most isolated prison near the Oregon border.

Dozens of people have protested in Los Angeles and Seattle in solidarity with the prisoners and more protests are planned by the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition.

California inmates have increasingly protested inhumane conditions within the solitary confinement units.

In March 2012, 400 California inmates in solitary confinement petitioned the United Nations to intervene.

"I have seen fellow prisoners murdered by correctional officers, mentally ill prisoners abused, I have seen men psychologically break down, cry, scream and go insane," Alfred Sandoval, who is in Pelican Bay on murder convictions, wrote in the petition.

The United States holds more prisoners in solitary confinement than any other so-called democratic nation in the world, according to Reuters.

According to a report by NPR in March, an estimated 80,000 American prisoners spend 23 hours a day in closed isolation units for 10, 20 or even more than 30 years.

Amid growing evidence that solitary confinement causes mental breakdown, the Federal Bureau of Prisons has decided for the first time to review its policies on solitary confinement, the report said.

Solitary confinement exploded in the U.S. in the 1980s when almost every state built what is called a "supermax" prison facility for the so-called "worst of the worst."

According to a 2012 report by Amnesty International on California's supermax units, 34 prisoners in California commit suicide every year.

Solitary confinement doubles to triples the costs of incarceration, up to $60,000 a year per inmate, NPR said.

American prisoners in solitary confinement have testified about suicidal depression, self-mutilation, lethargy, hallucinations and other ills.

FM
Originally Posted by raymond:

Will Obama forced feed them like he is doing in Guantanamo? doubt he will ever try that.

open a window once in a while and take a breath of fresh air...

The Federal Judge of the United States regard this as degrading and subhuman why are you joining with Adolf Hitler to continue the Nazi Prison Camp of Guantanamo. I expect no better from you.

The Nazi would not care if they live fool. Their pitiful asses would be in a gas chamber or lye pit a long time ago.

FM
Originally Posted by baseman:

Let the die!

Let the die! Are you friggin mad or what what are you trying to say

Don't force feed.  Force feed the bannas in Gitmo, not the US prisoners.

Read your sentences and then try to understand what you have written.

Why your first sentence.....go back to school and get an education no wonder redux damaged your brains and now only garbage seems to be seeping.

FM

Let the die!

Why your first sentence.....go back to school and get an education no wonder redux damaged your brains and now only garbage seems to be seeping.

Oyye Mullah Omar, so I mistyped and left the "m" off of "the".  Well, seems you need to be guided like you in kindergarten.  No wonder you cannot figure out D2 broken clock analogy.

FM

Let the die!

Oyye Mullah Omar, so I mistyped and left the "m" off of "the".  Well, seems you need to be guided like you in kindergarten.  No wonder you cannot figure out D2 broken clock analogy.

You mistyped, better dont forget to wear your panties next time or you know what can happen to you.

FM

Let the die!

You mistyped, better dont forget to wear your panties next time or you know what can happen to you.

Now, you getting lil antsy and picking up Redux's lingo.

You better don't type what is you head before you end up on Obama's "watchlist".  Better watch out better stop pouting.

FM

Let the die!

You better don't type what is you head before you end up on Obama's "watchlist".  Better watch out better stop pouting.

Brayman, look how everyone is pointing out your assinine posts. Keep on braying deh Jackass.

Mitwah
Originally Posted by Mitwah:

Let the die!

Brayman, look how everyone is pointing out your assinine posts. Keep on braying deh Jackass.

Redux the anti PPP racist and ASJ the Taliban/Al Qaeda lover.  Well, if they disagree with me, I'm very proud to not be in agreement.

FM

Let the die!

Redux the anti PPP racist and ASJ the Taliban/Al Qaeda lover.  Well, if they disagree with me, I'm very proud to not be in agreement.

You are such a fool. Well, I can't expect you to get it. Keep on braying!

Mitwah

Get what, that you, Redux and ASJ don't like most of my posts.  Well, we are diametrically on opposite side on several issues.  Now, do you get it, or do you need some kindergarten lessons like ASJ?

FM

Get what, that you, Redux and ASJ don't like most of my posts.  Well, we are diametrically on opposite side on several issues.  Now, do you get it, or do you need some kindergarten lessons like ASJ?

oww baseman bai, i giving u nightmares nuh?

every other word out yuh mouth lately is a gratuitous "redux dis" and "redux dat" . . . i beginning to feel like a Bollywood star, LOL

u is a real strange lil 'man' . . . accusing others of "picking up Redux's lingo" . . . while u furiously trying to elevate yuhself with wholesale copying of my vocab and style

har de har har har har har har!!!

FM

Brayman, you write like a cow and you bray all day. Now do you get it?

Mitwah

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.