Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Rev:
Originally Posted by raymond:

i am so happy my son does not care for business (as he puts it, sitting in a cubicle or office is mind numbing)

* Ask your son to research the percentage of engineers with Bachelor degrees who choose to pursue an MBA instead of a Masters in Engineering.

* There is a monotony in every single profession----include engineering.

Rev

don't disagree...although I think the field he is interested in (bio medical engineering) seems to have plenty promise. Hope he sticks with it...these kids tend to change their minds

FM

don't disagree...although I think the field he is interested in (bio medical engineering) seems to have plenty promise. Hope he sticks with it...these kids tend to change their minds

* Tremendous opportunities in Bio medical engineering.

* Hope he gets accepted into one of the top programs.

* Does he have any idea where he wants to study ?

* John Hopkins, Duke and Stanford have excellent programs.

* By the way, Ask him this simple question regarding his interest in Biomedical engineering:

Is that what you want to be or what you want to do ?

Rev

FM

Kids are never sure exactly sure what they want to do or be...he just listed things that interest him and what he is good at...a combination of Biology, Ancient civilizations, Language, Chemistry, Calculus...he is an introvert, free thinker, independent minded...

He figured Bio Medical which can actually take him to different parts of the world meeting different people who speak different languages

FM
Originally Posted by Nehru:

if you are over 40 and looking for work...it's tough in this current economic climate

* What about the millions of college kids graduating with big college loans and can't find a decent paying job ?

Rev

well...no one tell them to major in liberal arts

Dat is not true. My son has a business Degree and 2 yrs now cant find Wuk!!!!

Under 24 with no experience, over 50, or unemployed for more than 3 months dont apply.  All others may submit their resumes.  Most likely I will send you a form letter telling you how wonderful you are, so much so that a humble company like ours couldnt possibly hire you.

But if you are really smart you would join a PRIVATE country club and then seek employment through your connections there.

FM

Fields like marketing, management, sales and some other business fields does not offer much to people of color...we have to be more technical or professional...things like accounting, science, actuary offer more opportunities

Sadly you are correct unless its from an Ivy and then you MIGHT have a chance.  Getting a grad degree is crucial in these times, problem is all the deby incurred.

I am glad I am not a 25 year old.

FM
Originally Posted by Nehru:

Dat is not true. My son has a business Degree and 2 yrs now cant find Wuk!!!!

* I guess Raymond's son studying science/math/computers---so he's poking fun at others.

* But the dirty secret in America today is millions of young people can't find a decent job---or can't find a job period.

Rev

My son not interested in business...he wants something in engineering...and a minor in a foreign language

that will not be possible at least most schools since the major and minor are in different colleges. 

FM
Originally Posted by seignet:

Anybody who work wid their hands will never starve. But starvation coming, ppl love to live in too big cities. God sey suh in de Bible.

* When you get a chance---post that quote in the bible.

* By the way, Didn't the Bible say good old Jesus coming back ?

* That's a big lie.

* Good old Jesus never coming back.

* IT'S ALLAH OBAMA TIME.

Rev

FM

Companies do not hire minorities for critical thinking and communication skills, those jobs reserved for white folks...that's just the way it is...

Colored folks need to specialize...your son is smart

i am so happy my son does not care for business (as he puts it, sitting in a cubicle or office is mind numbing)

In careers where your success depends on the ability to devalop relationships with whites, they are skeptical that an minority, especially an immigrant can do that.  If the job involves sitting at a desk writing programs then they will love you as few whites of any qualitry will want that, knowing the limitations.

This is not to say tyhat it is impossible, but it is to say that it will be difficult for some West Indian kid, whose parents work in the health field, or in some back office admi position in the corporate world, to know how to properly present themselves.  Indeed the kid will probably have the impression that "knowing the job" is important.  No they want to know whether you can fit into their business culture, and feel comfotable with their clients, and most importantly, whether their clients will feel comfortable with you.

As much as some people like to bash black Americans, I have seen way more success from them as they know more about the system and how to present themselves.   Indeed this respect for elders that some Caribeban kides still have, works against them.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.