Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

A member from one of the African Cultural groups receiving a cheque from Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport Dr. Frank Anthony.

A member from one of the African Cultural groups receiving a cheque from Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport Dr. Frank Anthony.

[www.inewsguyana.com] – The Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport presented cheques amounting to $8.125M to 89 African cultural groups to assist them to effectively carry out their various activities for Emancipation celebrations to be observed on August 1.

Since 2005 Government has been supporting Emancipation activities, starting with just three groups, and has been encouraging persons from various backgrounds to become involved in preserving their cultural activities. Emancipation day is marked as an important day, not only in the Guyanese calendar, but also the global perspective.

The inhumane system of slavery was abolished on August 1, 1834 in all British colonies including British Guiana- now Guyana. It brought an end to the atrocious system of slavery which for centuries had brought pain, suffering and bitterness.

Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport Dr. Frank pointed out that as Guyanese celebrate another Emancipation anniversary that they reflect on the country’s history.

He reminded the audience that the village of Buxton on the East Coast of Demerara was named after Thomas Buxton, who had advocated the Emancipation Acts of 1833 in the British House of Commons. “When we think about sacrifice, when we think about what people had to endure, the conditions under which they were living, I think that it is important that we read some of the documents of that time,” Minister Anthony urged.

“When we talk about slavery as a people we must understand the horrific system it was,” he stated.

The Museum of African Heritage has also been archiving documents and artifacts of the country’s history which will be showcased to other countries whose people were also victims of slavery.

[Extracted and modified from GINA]

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by JB:

Yes PPP decide to give a little change to Afro Guyanese after giving Bobby all contract and TV and radio station. Good job PPP

Unlike you and yuh Mamoo who tek Al YUh money and push am in Al YUh Chun Chun!!!

Nehru
Originally Posted by Nehru:

What a Caring and Compassionate Govt..  BIG UP GUYANA.  ONE GUYANA, ONE LOVE. HAPPY EMANCIPATION DAY TO MY GUYANESE BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Even as today when Freddie Kissoon writes that Afro Guyanese are now WORSE off than they have ever been since slavery ended.

Like the white plantation owners of old the only freedom that the PPP thinks is due to blacks is to sing and dance to entertain them.  And all we need to is to look at the events of several years ago when the end of the slave trade was commemorated.  Did the PPP foster any conversation on the declining socio economic status of Afro Guyanese, or their almst total exclusion from leadership in Guyana.  NO!

It was all about singing and dancing blacks.  So reminiscent of the OLD JIM CROW SOUTH!  All that's missing is the black face.

FM
Originally Posted by JB:

Yes PPP decide to give a little change to Afro Guyanese after giving Bobby all contract and TV and radio station. Good job PPP

Unlike you and yuh Mamoo who tek Al YUh money and push am in Al YUh Chun Chun!!!

YUh Chun Chun!!! hahahahahahahahah

FM
Originally Posted by JB:

Indeed under the PPP, looking at who runs Guyana, many foreigners are left to think that its a virtual India!

I have warned on several occasions what the increasing exclusion and the sharp levels of alienation amongst the poorer black communities. When Guyana descends into the lawlessness that one sees in parts of Kingston Port of Spain and Rio de Janeiro don't be shocked.  Indeed its well on the journey there.

FM
Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by JB:

We give 10% to we church and charity.

FM
Originally Posted by caribny:
Originally Posted by JB:

Indeed under the PPP, looking at who runs Guyana, many foreigners are left to think that its a virtual India!

I have warned on several occasions what the increasing exclusion and the sharp levels of alienation amongst the poorer black communities. When Guyana descends into the lawlessness that one sees in parts of Kingston Port of Spain and Rio de Janeiro don't be shocked.  Indeed its well on the journey there.

ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT. BUT I DONT EXPECT ANYTHING DIIERENTLY FROM A SLIMEBALL RACIST . YOU ARE THE REINCARNATION OF JIM CROWE AND P W BOTHA!!!!

Nehru

What a Caring and Compassionate Govt..  BIG UP GUYANA.  ONE GUYANA, ONE LOVE. HAPPY EMANCIPATION DAY TO MY GUYANESE BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Even as today when Freddie Kissoon writes that Afro Guyanese are now WORSE off than they have ever been since slavery ended.

Like the white plantation owners of old the only freedom that the PPP thinks is due to blacks is to sing and dance to entertain them.  And all we need to is to look at the events of several years ago when the end of the slave trade was commemorated.  Did the PPP foster any conversation on the declining socio economic status of Afro Guyanese, or their almst total exclusion from leadership in Guyana.  NO!

It was all about singing and dancing blacks.  So reminiscent of the OLD JIM CROW SOUTH!  All that's missing is the black face.

Burnham used to give two lbs of hard cassava only for party card holders at KSI.

FM
Originally Posted by Spontaneous emission:

Burnham used to give two lbs of hard cassava only for party card holders at KSI.

So what. Indeed Burnham destroyed black people to the point where they can now not fight off the widespread racism directed against them by the PPP and the rest of the Indo elite.

FM
Originally Posted by JB:

ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT. BUT I DONT EXPECT ANYTHING DIIERENTLY FROM A SLIMEBALL RACIST . YOU ARE THE REINCARNATION OF JIM CROWE AND P W BOTHA!!!!

I see one is accused of Jim Crow when one protests racism against blacks in today's Guyana.

Interesting. I bet you cant even tell me how this is so.

FM
Originally Posted by Spontaneous emission:

So what. Indeed Burnham destroyed black people to the point where they can now not fight off the widespread racism directed against them by the PPP and the rest of the Indo elite.

HAHAHA  Burnham destroyed Black People, so why they hold on to his Buckta for 28 years, including you. Ah Stupid yuh Stupid????

Nehru

* POPPYCOCK!

* Afro Guyanese are much better off under the PPP than they were under the PNC.

* STOP PEDDLING BLATANT LIES CARIB!

* I know it pains you to see Guyana being led by an East Indian---may you forever be mentally tortured by the PPP.

Rev

FM

PPP got ACDA and Eric Philps and all them pro-african people by the Baaaallllls!

Look how people who claim they care for afro-Guyanese sell out their people - eric and all fo them.

FM

Wow. 89 groups! Caribjee, this must remind you of massa divide and rule. Massa would beat the crap out of them in the fields during the week and then line them up and give them some tea, rum and animal intestines, foot, mouth and tail every so often. The PPP does know how to buy their votes. 

Mitwah
rest of the Indo elite.

HAHAHA  Burnham destroyed Black People, so why they hold on to his Buckta for 28 years, including you. Ah Stupid yuh Stupid????

Just as today the PPP is destroying poor Indians.  And yes Indos like you hold on to the PPP.

But tell you what Nehru apparently you believe that Burnham did NOT rig the elections.  Those who know that he did also know that fewer than 15% of the voters in G/town turned out to vote in 1973, this meaning that the VAST MAJORITY of blacks refused to vote.

We cannot say the same for Indians today, at least 60% vote and at least 80% of those who vote support the PPP, even as it is destroying those in sugar and rice, and other poor Indians.

FM
Originally Posted by Rev:

* POPPYCOCK!

* Afro Guyanese are much better off under the PPP than they were under the PNC.

* STOP PEDDLING BLATANT LIES CARIB!

* I know it pains you to see Guyana being led by an East Indian---may you forever be mentally tortured by the PPP.

Rev

As a man who hates blacks, you are the last person to determine what their socio economic status is.  You are like the South Africans under apartheid and the Southern governors under Jim Crow when they screamed "our ni99ers are better off and they love being opressed by us".

Ask yourself if blacks are better off, and given the sorry state that you know full well the PNC is in, why do 90% still vote PNC, and exclaim that this is the only institution which can defend their interests?  This includes people like David Hinds, who was beaten up by the PNC under Burnham!

Blacks are WORSE off than they have ever been since slavery.

FM
Originally Posted by Mitwah:

Wow. 89 groups! Caribjee, this must remind you of massa divide and rule. Massa would beat the crap out of them in the fields during the week and then line them up and give them some tea, rum and animal intestines, foot, mouth and tail every so often. The PPP does know how to buy their votes. 

The PPP isnt buying their votes.  In 2006 and in 2011 they had massive FREE concerts in Linden (black people can only sing and dance, in their eyes, just as poor Indians can only get drunk drinking rum)  and yet MORE people showed up to the concert than they PPP recived in the ENTIRE Region 10. Note that the work that Sam Hinds did during the Burnham regime has still earned him respect from some older folks, who remember him when he worked in the bauxite industry.

Remember last time how angry the PPP was "at dem ungrateful black people, we give dem so much freeness an den dey gaan vote PNC".

FM
Originally Posted by Brian Teekah:

PPP got ACDA and Eric Philps and all them pro-african people by the Baaaallllls!

Look how people who claim they care for afro-Guyanese sell out their people - eric and all fo them.

Be careful.  Ignore the moderates and then the Indo elites will have to deal with the people with the gutter mentality of peeing on a man's bus and then stabbing the owner when he objected.  Because that is all who will be left.  Every reasonable person will have fled to Barbados.

So I wouldnt celebrate too soon.  Eric Phillips has no need to stay in Guyana, and may actually be spending very little time there for all we know.  Given that he is on the PPP hit list for murder (yes he has claimed to have received death threats from the Phantoms) I doubt that he is 100% reliant on Guyana to generate an income for himself.

FM
Originally Posted by Brian Teekah:

http://www.caribbeanamericanpa...eaten-private-sector

Based on these comments made recently I dont see how he sold out to the PPP.  He equates the PPP with the PNC in terms of making Guyana the poorest country in the Caribbean, aside from Haiti.

The ACDA gets money from the gov't for its annual Emancipation Day event.  You need to understand that this isnt the PPPs money.  This is the money belonging to the PEOPLE of Guyana, and given that 45% of the population traces their origins in Africa, at least in part (most mixed people in Guyana are part black)  then it is as much THEIR money as it is any body elses.

FM

Ask yourself if blacks are better off, and given the sorry state that you know full well the PNC is in, why do 90% still vote PNC..

ANSWER:

80% of Blacks in Guyana are prejudiced in favor of the PNC and therefore they will remain loyal and faithful to that party. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Rev

FM

Ask yourself if blacks are better off, and given the sorry state that you know full well the PNC is in, why do 90% still vote PNC..

ANSWER:

80% of Blacks in Guyana are prejudiced in favor of the PNC and therefore they will remain loyal and faithful to that party. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Rev

So why Caribj sliding like he has industrial grease on him. He should also be man enough to say so.

Nehru

ANSWER:

Rev

Yes I expect this ignorance from you, because of course you forgot that the same can be said for Indians as they revere the PPP.

FM

ANSWER:

Rev

So why Caribj sliding like he has industrial grease on him. He should also be man enough to say so.

I have said MANY TIMES that both Indians and blacks are locked into race based voting BECAUSE of perceived injustices against them.

But you are illterate so werent able to read that.  Or maybe you are a racist who thinks that race based voting by Indians is OK, but the same behavior by blacks must be condemned.

FM

ANSWER:

Rev

I have said MANY TIMES that both Indians and blacks are locked into race based voting BECAUSE of perceived injustices against them.

But you are illterate so werent able to read that.  Or maybe you are a racist who thinks that race based voting by Indians is OK, but the same behavior by blacks must be condemned.

You too STUPID that daily you come here are try to shame Indians for Voting PPP BUT not one bloody time talking about Afros who were almost6 starved to death ALWAYS vote PNC. YOu boasyted dailt that the PPP cannot and WILL NOT get 10 of the Afro Votes. YOu are a SHAMELESS, SLIMEBALL RACIST and I have proved that!!!!

Nehru

Yes I expect this ignorance from you, because of course you forgot that the same can be said for Indians as they revere the PPP.

carib:

* I would like for 100% of Indians to be prejudiced in favor of the PPP, but sadly you have numerous DIRTY INDIANS from Guyana---many support the PNC, and so only around 80% of Guyanese Indians are prejudiced in favor of the PPP.

Rev

FM

You too STUPID that daily you come here are try to shame Indians for Voting PPP BUT not one bloody time talking about Afros who were almost6 starved to death ALWAYS vote PNC. YOu boasyted dailt that the PPP cannot and WILL NOT get 10 of the Afro Votes. YOu are a SHAMELESS, SLIMEBALL RACIST and I have proved that!!!!

I see.  Too illiterate to read exactly the comments which he has included.

Poor thing.

FM

carib:

* I would like for 100% of Indians to be prejudiced in favor of the PPP, but sadly you have numerous DIRTY INDIANS from Guyana---many support the PNC, and so only around 80% of Guyanese Indians are prejudiced in favor of the PPP.

Rev

and there you go.  If an Indian dares to leave the PPP plantation you lambaste him as being depraved.

How dare he as an Indian dare not support the PPP you scream.  But yet you dont apply the same attitude to black voting habits.  When they vote race, as do most Indians, they are wrong to do so, even when you damn those Indians who vote conscience and not race.

FM

and there you go.  If an Indian dares to leave the PPP plantation you lambaste him as being depraved.

Carib:

* Unlike you, I am very comfortable with my prejudices, and I am prejudiced in favor of an Indo led PPP ruling Guyana.

* You want the black man to rule Guyana, but you are afraid to say it.

* Stop being a hypocrite and start being honest like the Rev for a change.

Rev

FM

carib:

Rev

How dare he as an Indian dare not support the PPP you scream.  But yet you dont apply the same attitude to black voting habits.  When they vote race, as do most Indians, they are wrong to do so, even when you damn those Indians who vote conscience and not race.

he and mr rev and mr jalil say so all the time

FM

To say that Blacks are worse off today would depend on what metrics are used, however, in a superficial sense this would not appear to be the case. Under the PNC, from the middle to later years in their rule, I believe that all races were worse off than at any time in post independent Guyana, save for the elites. However, I may stand corrected if the proper metrics  and data are presented and compared.

Even though Blacks and Indos may appear to be superficially better off today they are woeful, when compared to other Caribbean countries when you factor in the resource richness of Guyana, and in this regard the PPP has been an abject failure, save for a few elites.

Racism will always exist at some level within both races, but it is no worse today than it was at any time in post independent Guyana, if anything, it may be a bit better due to the mixing of the races in marriage and my family is a prime example of this; two brothers are married to Blacks and I have a total of 6 mixed nephews and one mixed niece.

What we have today in Gy is what we had under the PNC; the elites running the show regardless of race and this will not change anytime soon regardless of which party is in power. The problem is the opposition must continue to hold any government accountable and make them pay for their mismanagement of the economy at the polls; focus on economic policies and present the facts to the nation instead of relying on race politics.

Mr. Walter Rodney was able to overcome the racial divide by focusing on what was common among the races and what affected them all, instead of coloring his politics. Today's ruling politicians in Gy are old, lazy, complacent and incompetent - they are all decrepit, rotten individuals hanging on till their last breath.

The only people who can save Gy are the young – those under 40. They can naturally relate to the young and, hence, be relevant. Note that Mr. Walter Rodney was 38 when he died and I believe that was a great part of what made him relevant at the time.

FM

The situation with Africans is worse off because they are being forced out of leadership positions, and increasingly concentrated in the lowest paying positions.   Their situation is worsening, both relative to other groups in Guyana, and relative to blacks elsewhere in the Caribbean.

I gave examples about how racism manifests itself and how it is noticed, not only by blacks living in Guyana, but by black foreigners who visit.  Indeed a white Americans described Guyanese blacks as a low level blue collar group working for others.   This would NOT have been how blacks in Guyana would have been described 40-50 years ago!

Racism today is equivalent to what it was under the PNC.  The difference is that there was open discussion about that, and blacks as well as Indians were quite vocal.

In today's Guyana blacks do not have the right to complain about racism without being intimidated, and this includes death threats levelled against certain people.  Eric Phillips and David Hinds being among them, and indeed a black leader was mowed down by Roger Khan's thugs, acting no doubt on behalf of the PPP.

Blacks in Brazil intermarry at very high rates, much higher than in Guyana. Despite that their position has traditionally been much worse than it has been in Guyana, though with each passing year Afro Guyanese come to resemble Afro Brazilians as being an excluded and marginalized and severely alienated and demoralized people. 

I am not one who believes that mere mixing removes racism.  Did Indians think that douglarization was the remedy for the racism that they endured under Burnham?  Doubt it very much, so blacks should also not fall for that trap.

What people have to understand is if the face of urban poverty begins to take on an ethnic face, instability is sure to follow.   It is much more difficult to be poor in urban areas because all consumption must be funded by cash, the cost of living is higher, and the exposure to affluence greater.

So folks can shrug their shoulders if they wish and say that there will always be racism.  I will suggest that they don't.

FM

* You want the black man to rule Guyana, but you are afraid to say it.

Given that you can hardly cite any evidence that I endorsed the Burnham regime you are at a loss to find proof that I care of which ethnic group the president happens to be.

What I do NOT endorse is a domination of a multi racial country like Guyana by a MINORITY group, which is what Indians have become.  Why should any one INCLUDING YOU be happy that Indians dominate at least 80% of the leadership spots in Guyana when they account for a mere 40% of the population.  Is that healthy?  Does that not risk resentment from other groups, leading to Indians being scape goated as a result?

Do you want Indians to be made scape goats because other groups feel excluded?

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.