Skip to main content

Source, Guyana, Saturday, September 22, 2018

Students from the BIT graduating class

Students of Graduating class

Manager of GuySuco Training Centre Port Mourant (GTC/PM), Jainarine Sookpaul presents a trophy to one of the best-performing students

Trophy presented to best Graduating student.

Ninety-seven Berbice youths recently graduated from the National Training Project for Youth empowerment (NTYE) on September 19. The programme was facilitated by the Board of Industrial Training (BIT) in collaboration with the GuySuCo Training Centre located in Port Mourant.

Courses were offered in the area of Electrical Installation, Welding and Fabrication, Motor Vehicles Servicing and Repairs, Basic Fitting and Machinery, Refrigeration, Supervisory Management and Entrepreneurship.

A representative of the Ministry of Social Protection, Francis Harold who spoke on behalf of Junior Minister Keith Scott, remarked that the graduation exercise must be regarded as an important event because it helps to fulfil government development.

He alluded to Minister of Finance, Winston Jordon’s budget 2017 presentation where he outlined the government’s commitment for technical and vocational training as part of the grant’s scheme of attaining a good life hence, the continued support and cooperation from the board of industrial training for programs of such.

Harold added that the Minister of Finance, on that occasion, had noted by 2021 a total of 42 workshops will be built or refurbished in several of the ten administrative regions to cater for the training needs of hundreds in the disciplines of joinery, masonry, cookery, garment construction, and motor vehicles repairs among others.

“These initiatives can be positioned within the National Youth Policy which was presented to the National Assembly two years ago in that policy youths are characterised as those individuals who fall in the bracket of 14-35 years of age and since today’s graduation class comprises persons within that group is not unreasonable to say that the objective of the training was youth empowerment.”

Also speaking at the graduation exercise was Chief Executive Officer of GuySuCo, Dr. Harold Davis Jr. who highlighted the BIT has recognised the importance of contributing to the development of the community in several technical skilled areas.

“I am particularly pleased with the level of interest and attendance and the exemplary performance of this batch. The future of this country and in the world where we have been largely influenced by technical awareness and competence and the knowledge gained will stand in good measure with the rapidly moving environment where we all live for industry and employment,” Dr. Davis Jr. said.

The CEO concluded by urging the graduates to make good use of the skills acquired to empower themselves and to contribute to the development of their community.

“I trust that we will all endeavour to use our knowledge and competency obtained to make a difference in your communities and your lives and by putting them into practice and that many of you will go on to acquire more competencies in your area of training”.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Django, Do you think someday they might bring a batch of Amerinds from the interior and pay all expenses(including apprenticeship) for them to get training so they can return to their villages and be productive? We always read about these training sessions being held in the cities. Who benefits from these training sessions???

FM
skeldon_man posted:

Django, Do you think someday they might bring a batch of Amerinds from the interior and pay all expenses(including apprenticeship) for them to get training so they can return to their villages and be productive? We always read about these training sessions being held in the cities. Who benefits from these training sessions???

Good idea !!

There should be some consideration for the hinterland folks,if you cant bring them to the school,carry the school to them.

Wait a minute looks like there was one http://nrddb.org/about does it still exist ??

Django
skeldon_man posted:

Why you asking Django this hard hard question?  Wha wraang wid you?

Bibi Haniffa
Bibi Haniffa posted:
skeldon_man posted:

Why you asking Django this hard hard question?  Wha wraang wid you?

You late,haven't read my answer.

Django

Me wonda if anyone choose annada trade, instead of going to GUYSUCO training centre.

The City and Guild  certificate is recognized internationally, especially in Canada, where there is a demand for certified trades people.

Anyone got a picture to post of the RR antique car that was rebuilt at Port Mourant training centre ?    

Tola
Tola posted:

Me wonda if anyone choose annada trade, instead of going to GUYSUCO training centre.

The City and Guild  certificate is recognized internationally, especially in Canada, where there is a demand for certified trades people.

Anyone got a picture to post of the RR antique car that was rebuilt at Port Mourant training centre ?    

They restore the one the Kabaka used to drive ?

Django
Baseman posted:

Isn't this school a PPP initiative?  Also the much lauded MTI?

Training Center goes way back since Bookers day.

I was enlisted to attend,was 16 yrs then,opt out after thinking to be away far from home.My cousin who assisted was furious,every time we meet he will hint on the topic.

https://guysuco.gy/index.php/e...-port-mourant-gtc-pm

Django
Last edited by Django

This is the approach the East Indian, the African and Amerindian youth of Guyana should take.  Get as much building construction skills, mechanical skills, and electrical skills that they can get in Guyana.  Those skills are transferable and are needed in every part of the world.  For example;  A Ugandan trained electrician was kicked out of Uganda by Idi Amin because he was East Indian.  He went to England took the British exams passed and worked in England for several years as an electrician.  Then he went to Canada and took the exams passed and is now working there as an electrician.  If you get BA, MA, MBA and Ph.D. etc it may look good on paper and on the wall that you put it on but eventually, in North America, you will have to compete with White people for jobs and the outcome may not be good for you.

Prashad
Last edited by Prashad
Prashad posted:

This is the approach the East Indian, the African and Amerindian youth of Guyana should take.  Get as much building construction skills, mechanical skills, and electrical skills that they can get in Guyana.  Those skills are transferable and are needed in every part of the world.  For example;  A Ugandan trained electrician was kicked out of Uganda by Idi Amin because he was East Indian.  He went to England took the British exams passed and worked in England for several years as an electrician.  Then he went to Canada and took the exams passed and is now working there as an electrician.

Oh skites some GNI-ers seh that's low paying,bottom of the ladder skills.

Django
Last edited by Django
Prashad posted:

Low paying? {You ever heard of a poor plumber in North America?} They and their MBA degree is getting replaced by computers and Indian outsourced labor.

Bhai,nah me seh suh.

Prash,i know the demand and pay for skilled folks.

I saved my son US$1100, he got an estimate for US$1200.The car Honda Civic overheating,was given to him by his grandmother, the overheating was fixed three months before by his grandmother at a cost of US$700.Unfortunately the problem wasn't fixed,turned out to be a bad fan.

Fixing cars is my part time hobby.

Django
Last edited by Django
Django posted:

Source, Guyana, Saturday, September 22, 2018

Students from the BIT graduating class

Students of Graduating class

Manager of GuySuco Training Centre Port Mourant (GTC/PM), Jainarine Sookpaul presents a trophy to one of the best-performing students

Trophy presented to best Graduating student.

it's fascinating that no 'afro' poster on this board is going to wring his/her haan, care or cuss about the (apparently) overwhelming Indo-Guyanese representation in this batch of Berbice graduates from this Gov't initiative

lesson to be learned by the ethnic bacoos tekkin lead up from the Freedom House allied race fringe

hmmmm . . .?

FM
Last edited by Former Member

I once called a plumber on Saturday night to fix a pipe that burst in the cold weather and was spraying water all over the place.  The plumber stayed for one hour fixing the pipe.  Then the man charges me 500 US dollars because it was Saturday night that he was working. I regret not learning about plumbing in Guyana.

Prashad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.