Skip to main content

$1.1M coconut nursery commissioned

Minister Zulfikar Mustapha examining one of the seedlings at the Kairuni Nursery in the presence of CARDI Country Rep Jhaman Kundun and HCI Ltd General Mana

Agriculture Minister Zulfikar Mustapha has commissioned a new coconut nursery at Kairuni, on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway.
This is the first of two nurseries that will be commissioned before the end of 2020. The facilities are said to have the capacity to produce 25,000 additional seedlings per year.
The nursery at Kairuni, which was developed at a cost of $1.1M, is in keeping with Government’s plans to promote and boost coconut production in Guyana and was commissioned on Tuesday.

While offering remarks at the commissioning, Minister Mustapha said the Ministry is working to ensure proper coconut planting material is easily accessible to farmers across the country.
“At the Ministry of Agriculture, we are on the verge of developing the coconut industry. We’ve been invited to be a member of the International Coconut Community. We are working to have those arrangements finalized so that we can benefit from that platform in the coming year,” the Minister is quoted as saying in a release from that Ministry.

“Coconut has the potential to contribute heavily to the development of our economy. That is why the Government is putting the efforts, energy, and resources into developing the industry. Over the next five years, we plan to decentralize access to proper coconut planting materials. Today’s activity marks the first step in our decentralization efforts,” the Minister added.
“Farmers on the East Bank and (in) Region 10 will no longer have to travel to the East Coast to purchase coconut plants. We will also be commissioning another nursery at Charity very soon. Next year I plan to establish a nursery in Berbice and, over time, move to other parts of the country, like in the interior,” Minister Mustapha said.

The subject minister is also encouraging farmers to get involved in cultivating other varieties of coconuts that are available in Guyana.

“Based on the current demand, this nursery only carries the 18 months’ coconut variety at the moment, which is grown for the water. But I want to encourage you to also look at the other parts of the coconut, in terms of the nut, oil production, and copra,” Mustapha added.

General Manager of the Hope Coconut Industries Limited, Ricky Roopchand, while offering remarks, said the launch of the nursery marked an important day for Guyana’s coconut industry and the farmers of Regions Four and Ten.
Coconut runs third in Guyana’s agriculture sector, after rice and sugar, and first in the country’s non-traditional sector in terms of earnings. It is also the third-largest industry in Guyana, currently occupying about 25,000 acres.

Chief Executive Officer of the National Agriculture Research and Extension Institute, Dr. Oudho Homenauth, is encouraging farmers to explore inter-cropping while they wait on their trees to bear.

“When you plant a coconut tree, whether it’s the 18 months, the three years, or the five years variety, you don’t get anything from it immediately. That is why one of the activities we are involved in currently is doing intercropping, of course with commodities or crops that have a market. That is what we’re promoting, and you will see a lot more of that in place,” Dr. Homenauth said.
Caribbean Agriculture Research and Development Institute (CARDI) Country Representative Jhaman Kundun has said that, given the progress made in Guyana’s coconut industry thus far, CARDI would be extending its research and development works for another five years.

Budget 2020 saw a sum of $1.25 billion allocated to NAREI to aid the promotion of agricultural diversification with a focus on coconut and horticulture by NAREI and Hope Coconut Estate. In addition to the establishment of the two coconut nurseries at Charity and Kairuni, farmers will also receive training to establish their own nurseries.

https://guyanatimesgy.com/1-1m...ursery-commissioned/

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So they jump straight to planting coconuts. Is there any type of study that was done to determine whether this would be profitable for Guyana? How about a competitive analysis? who are we competing against, what are their prices? Can we do it for less?

Anybody know? Asia and the east are full of coconuts. What competitive edge does Guyana have? Or are we just planting shit fuh fun and posting headlines about "putting people to work" in something that will soon be dead.

These Guyanese leaders are chupid for days. Everything is a shoot from the hip reaction.

FM

What study do you need to plant coconuts? You people are asking stupid questions by day. Guyana is no stranger to coconut planting. Coconuts cant grow through pollination because birds cant shit out a whole coconut. You folks become university scholars overnight. Doing nothing deserves questions, not the other way around.

Viper

Guyanese mentality pon display, from a supposed "businessman"!!!! No study, no analysis, this will soon wind up like the sugar industry, holding yuh coconuts waiting fuh a lil frek.

FM
@Nehru posted:

Viper, HREHEHEHEHE Is a PNC Banna, dem does do study and study on how to shit and piss

...yep...the study and analysis of populations and their piss and shit factors into the building of a sewage system. Of course an uneducated jackass like you won't know that because I bet you still shit and piss in your yard in Richmond Hill. You think the toilet and tub are where you store your liquor.

FM
Last edited by Former Member
@Former Member posted:

...yep...the study and analysis of populations and their piss and shit factors into the building of a sewage system. Of course an uneducated jackass like you won't know that because I bet you still shit and piss in your yard in Richmond Hill. You think the toilet and tub are where you store your liquor.

That reminds me of when I told a guy who had his woodworking shop next door to us if he wanted to keep his beets cold, place a couple at a time inside his toilet "tank" because the water is cold. Eh Eh, one day I stopped in and the guy told me to grab a couple for us, well, I turned down mine..the fool had them sitting in the bowl.

cain
@cain posted:

That reminds me of when I told a guy who had his woodworking shop next door to us if he wanted to keep his beets cold, place a couple at a time inside his toilet "tank" because the water is cold. Eh Eh, one day I stopped in and the guy told me to grab a couple for us, well, I turned down mine..the fool had them sitting in the bowl.

I once worked at Carling brewery and on weekends the guys will fill the sink with beer, covered in cold water.  But when they run out of room  they did the  same thing, place some in the toilet tank, but never in the bowl.  I guess if they get drunk enough, they might also use the bowl.

Those were the days. Normally, one beer each for rest breaks  and as much you can drink after work, but  none to take home.

Tola
@Tola posted:

I once worked at Carling brewery and on weekends the guys will fill the sink with beer, covered in cold water.  But when they run out of room  they did the  same thing, place some in the toilet tank, but never in the bowl.  I guess if they get drunk enough, they might also use the bowl.

Those were the days. Normally, one beer each for rest breaks  and as much you can drink after work, but  none to take home.

You lie!

R
@Django posted:

You got to back it up !!!

The brewery had coolers all over the place. So he was lying about putting beers in toilets.

The employees were allowed to drink three during their breaks.  There was no need for them to hide the beer in the toilets.

Tota is lying.  The employees drank their three beers and at the end of their shift, they took home their three beers.

R
@Tola posted:

I once worked at Carling brewery and on weekends the guys will fill the sink with beer, covered in cold water.

But when they run out of room  they did the  same thing, place some in the toilet tank, but never in the bowl.

I guess if they get drunk enough, they might also use the bowl.

@Ramakant-P posted:

The brewery had coolers all over the place. So he was lying about putting beers in toilets.

The employees were allowed to drink three during their breaks.

There was no need for them to hide the beer in the toilets.

Tota is lying.  The employees drank their three beers and at the end of their shift, they took home their three beers.

Was it hiding the beers or cooling them ?

Django
@Ramakant-P posted:

The employees were allowed to drink three during their breaks.  There was no need for them to hide the beer in the toilets.

Smart man Rama, do you know the difference between a brewery, liquor store and a bar ?  Bhai, don't continue to be dumb, like most in the PPP. 

Tola
@Ramakant-P posted:

This is a classic example of Forest Gump being smarter than Rama. He don't have a faintest idea what he is talking about here.

Tola
@Tola posted:

This is a classic example of Forest Gump being smarter than Rama. He don't have a faintest idea what he is talking about here.

You ought to know better than to lie about what others have first-hand information of.

You think that I don't that you worked at Carling brewery on the weekends as a security guard.

I can tell you how the guys stole beers at the brewery and the guards allowed them to do it.

R
Last edited by Ramakant-P
@Ramakant-P posted:

You ought to know better than to lie about what others have first-hand information of.

You think that I don't that you worked at Carling brewery on the weekends as a security guard.

I can tell you how the guys stole beers at the brewery and the guards allowed them to do it.

Did the ashram teach you the difference between a brewery and a liquor store ?

Tola
@Viper posted:

Investing money and putting people to work is the language of success.

How long after you plant a coconut tree that you can see some revenue? How much nuts per tree on the onset of production, which is estimated to be about 5 years after planting?

Mitwah
@Mitwah posted:

How long after you plant a coconut tree that you can see some revenue? How much nuts per tree on the onset of production, which is estimated to be about 5 years after planting?

I am surprised by your question?

You know very well the byproducts we get from dry coconuts.

Out of coconuts, we can get 8 different food products namely:
  • Coconut Oil.
  • Coconut Milk.
  • Coconut Cream.
  • Coconut flakes (desiccated coconut)
  • Coconut water.
  • Coconut Flour.
  • Coconut Sugar (made from the sap of the flower on the coconut palm)
  • Coconut Butter.
R
@Tola posted:

Since he days as RO, Mustapha is one talk-man, but little on action to get things done.

O ye of little faith.  Mustapha will prove that he is the right man for the job, the one you couldn't get with the PNC.

R

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.