Skip to main content

FM
Former Member
Need to sharpen my queen taking skills

Norway's Carlsen dethrones Anand to win world chess title
AFP
Chennai, November 22, 2013

Norwegian prodigy Magnus Carlsen claimed the crown of world chess champion on Friday after drawing a tense 10th game against holder Viswanathan Anand to take an unassailable lead in the 12-round duel. The 22-year-old Carlsen, the current world number one, won three games and drew seven to 

Anand, who at 43 is 21 years older than his rival, lost the title he has held since 2007 despite a last-gasp fight in an attritional 130-move game on Friday that lasted four hours and 45 minutes.

With Carlsen having sealed the championship match, the last two games scheduled on Sunday and Monday have been cancelled.

Both players signed the chess board before heading to a joint press conference where Anand admitted he had "blundered" again in the final game and said sorry to his fans.

"As for the match in general it's clear that he dominated. At the start of the match I thought my chances depended on my ability to last long games without making a lot of mistakes," said Anand.

"This year I've had a lot of problems with mistakes creeping into my play."

Carlsen will win 60% of the total prize fund of $2.24 million, while Anand takes home the rest.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bobby Fischer was considered by many (including me) to be the greatest chess player in the history of the game and who remains the only American of the modern era to win a world championship

He learned the game at 6, won his first U.S. championship at 14 and in 1958 became the youngest international grandmaster of chess.

He was world champion at 29. By then, the name Bobby Fischer, like Babe Ruth in baseball or Albert Einstein in physics, was synonymous with brilliance nonpareil.

His 1972 world championship match against Russian master Boris Spassky in Reykjavik focused world attention on the quietly insular world of international chess and transformed it in the process. Mr. Fischer's epic victory made him not only a U.S. hero but also a reluctant pawn in the Cold War as the young American vanquished the Russian and brought home the nation's first world chess championship in more than a century.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.