Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

72 Percent of African-American Children Are Raised in Single Parent Homes

A staggering number of African-American children are raised in single parent homes, compared to the rest of America, and the rest of the world. A study conducted by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development found that 25.8 percent of American children are raised by a single parent, a number high above the 14.9 percent average seen in the other 26 countries surveyed. Among African-Americans the rate nearly tripled, with 72 percent of black children relying on a single parent.

“The in-work poverty is higher in the U.S. than other OECD countries, because at the bottom end of the labor market, earnings are very low,” said Willem Adema, a senior economist in the group’s social policy division. “For parents, the risk is higher because they have to make expenditures on childcare costs.”

No doubt the prevalence of divorce has introduced single-parenthood as common place in the U.S., but the figures are disproportionally high for African-Americans. Reasons for the disparity among blacks could stem from any number of reasons, ranging from the American justice system, to pregnancy among young unmarried couples. In addition to the number of black single parents, almost three in four black children are born outside of marriage. The reality is that recognizing or even curbing the trend does not work to the benefit of young single mothers already raising children.

American single mothers find themselves challenged by high living costs, even though the U.S. government provides more child welfare spending than other countries. Employment is also more common for U.S. single parents, with 35.8% earning an income compared to 21.3 percent internationally, but single mother families still suffer from a poverty rate of 63 percent.

The plight of the working mother is compounded with a lack of childcare, which can affect childhood development. University of Texas law professor Lino Graglia went so far as to link minority underachievement on standardized tests to single parent households, characterizing the parents as “usually female, uneducated and without a lot of money.”

Though Graglia’s statements are certainly not based in fact, the economic and social trends attributed to single-parenthood are should be discomforting to African-Americans. It may be too late for a return to the traditional family for Americans, but considering the weight of single parent child rearing can never be understated.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The lack of father figures in African American homes is very troubling. CNN did a report called Black In America. This is indeed a social epidemic. This issued needs to be addressed.

FM
Originally Posted by yuji22:

The lack of father figures in African American homes is very troubling. CNN did a report called Black In America. This is indeed a social epidemic. This issued needs to be addressed.

your FAKE concern is noted

FM

Are Black males failing to fulfill their responsibilities of fatherhood ? Hence this serious social epidemic ?

There are also many Afro who are doing a good job with their kids.  You cannot generalize.

FM
Originally Posted by baseman:

Are Black males failing to fulfill their responsibilities of fatherhood ? Hence this serious social epidemic ?

There are also many Afro who are doing a good job with their kids.  You cannot generalize.

I am not laying blame here. But 72 percent of single parents is extremely high. This is a social epidemic. What is the community doing ?

The lack of father figure in homes can have a devastating effect on these children. The number is troubling and we cannot bury our heads in the sand while this number may pass 72 percent as time goes by.

FM

set-up 'question' fuh de mini fuhrers from GT to munch on

alyuh un-clever and funny no rass

FM
Originally Posted by redux:

Redux this is a social epidemic and it requires a serious debate. 

FM

Redux this is a social epidemic and it requires a serious debate

Serious..har de har de har har har har har.  Now, that's serious!

FM

please . . . stop the foolishness, u BIGOT, u FAKE

FM

I have had this discussion with caribj for years before the pedophile gang for political reasons suddenly became interested in the plight of the Afros.  The odds of a  well rounded child in single parent families are just not good.  

FM

Stop what foolishness? You came here with your one line unintelligible crap. The OECD report should be taken seriously. Black families face great odds to move up the ladder in America. Poverty, unemployment, and deprivation and lack of opportunities have all combined to take its toll on blacks.Plus the education system. How are the resources distributed by the Education Boards in black areas, as opposed to white communities? Obama said the other day that he wants to be a better parent than his father. Now only if many black fathers can say and do the same.  

FM
Originally Posted by Ronald Sugrim:

Stop what foolishness? You came here with your one line unintelligible crap. The OECD report should be taken seriously. Black families face great odds to move up the ladder in America. Poverty, unemployment, and deprivation and lack of opportunities have all combined to take its toll on blacks.Plus the education system. How are the resources distributed by the Education Boards in black areas, as opposed to white communities? Obama said the other day that he wants to be a better parent than his father. Now only if many black fathers can say and do the same.  

ohhh . . . i happen to take the report QUITE seriously

it's the un-clever, unintelligent, agenda-driven crocodile shyte dripping from the mouth corners of BIGOT FRAUDS like u, yugeee, druggie and other low-minded mediocrities from the Guyana mudflats that I cannot stand

kapeesh?

FM
Last edited by Former Member

I see that redux is like the 72 percent of African American males in this OECD report who run away from their family obligations. He chooses to post replies that try to divert attention away from a serious social epidemic. 

FM

I see that redux is like the 72 percent of African American males in this OECD report who run away from their family obligations. He chooses to post replies that try to divert attention away from a serious social epidemic. 

nat even approaching "clever" bai . . . low IQ betraying yuh

FM

it's the un-clever, unintelligent, agenda-driven crocodile shyte dripping from the mouth corners of BIGOT FRAUDS like u, yugeee, druggie and other low-minded mediocrities from the Guyana mudflats that I cannot stand

kapeesh?

No, I did not 'kapeesh.' We might be 'low-minded-mediocrities' but YOU have not displayed an iota of scholarship on these boards. What you have done is to delve into a cesspool and pluck from the bowels of filth such 'gems' as panty, masturbation, fresh panty, etc. in the midst of serious discussions. This shows the workings of a sick mind. No wonder you can't write more than a paragraph of sense, because that is the limit of your intelligence.

Now let's see you address the OECD report with alacrity. 

FM

kapeesh?

No, I did not 'kapeesh.' We might be 'low-minded-mediocrities' but YOU have not displayed an iota of scholarship on these boards. What you have done is to delve into a cesspool and pluck from the bowels of filth such 'gems' as panty, masturbation, fresh panty, etc. in the midst of serious discussions. This shows the workings of a sick mind. No wonder you can't write more than a paragraph of sense, because that is the limit of your intelligence.

Now let's see you address the OECD report with alacrity

that u don't "kapeesh" is not my problem . . . your deficits are your own affair

i don't make it a habit to indulge racists and fools with 'intellectual' conversation; i much prefer y'all feeling my whip . . . re-read what i posted earlier [in BOLD] above

btw, "alacrity" doesn't mean what u seem to think it means . . . get in the habit of using a dictionary u dummy!

FM
Last edited by Former Member

kapeesh?

i don't make it a habit to indulge racists and fools with 'intellectual' conversation; i prefer y'all feeling my whip . . . re-read what i posted earlier [in BOLD] above

btw, "alacrity" doesn't mean what u seem to think it means . . . get in the habit of using a dictionary u dummy!

Alacrity means among things ' briskness or smartness' so it is correctly used. But again you do this to divert from the issue at hand which is the OECD report.Typical about someone that has little to offer.   

FM

redux is too ashamed to address this social epidemic.

Unless his community starts addressing this epidemic then it will continue to grow. President Obama has correctly addressed this matter by stating that he wants to be a better father than his own father. 

One must give credit to the single mothers who do their utmost best to raise these children while the 72 percent of fathers run away from their obligation towards the mother and children affected by this epidemic.

A 72 percent single parent in the African American community is taking its toll on the children affected by this social epidemic. 

FM

kapeesh?

i don't make it a habit to indulge racists and fools with 'intellectual' conversation; i prefer y'all feeling my whip . . . re-read what i posted earlier [in BOLD] above

Alacrity means among things ' briskness or smartness' so it is correctly used. But again you do this to divert from the issue at hand which is the OECD report.Typical about someone that has little to offer.   

"smartness"?? I don't think so 'sir' . . . unless it is being used colloquially as a synonym for "briskness"

either way, in context, your sentence makes no sense

no matter how shimmy, u and your cohort can't seem to shake the sickness of fake learning

FM

Unless his community starts addressing this epidemic then it will continue to grow. President Obama has correctly addressed this matter by stating that he wants to be a better father than his own father. 

One must give credit to the single mothers who do their utmost best to raise these children while the 72 percent of fathers run away from their obligation towards the mother and children affected by this epidemic.

A 72 percent single parent in the African American community is taking its toll on the children affected by this social epidemic. 

it's the un-clever, unintelligent, agenda-driven crocodile shyte dripping from the mouth corners of BIGOT FRAUDS like u, sugrim, druggie and other low-minded mediocrities from the Guyana mudflats that I cannot stand

FM

Yes he did...har de har de har har har har har...

it's the un-clever, unintelligent, agenda-driven crocodile shyte dripping from the mouth corners of BIGOT FRAUDS like Sugrim, yugeee, druggie, baseman and other low-minded mediocrities from the Guyana mudflats that I cannot stand

FM

redux posts from the gutter once again. He has made zero contribution to this and his community. 

what is it about "i prefer y'all [low-minded, mudflat mediocrities] feeling my whip" that u don't understand, eh yugee?

FM

redux posts from the gutter once again. He has made zero contribution to this and his community. 

what is it about "i prefer y'all [low-minded, mudflat mediocrities] feeling my whip" that u don't understand, eh yugee?

You sound like a bitter defeated man.

FM

is THAT your new 'trick' ? . . . absorbing yuh blows, turning to the gallery, grinning through no-teeth, mumbling . . . "ah tearin tail nah?"

har de har har har har har!

FM

And yet Indo Caribbean boys in NYC do little better.  Best you focus on the reasons why.

FM
we cannot bury our heads in the sand while this number may pass 72 percent as time goes by.

What do you plan to do about it, other than using it as an excuse to pound your racism.

Focus on Indo  Caribbean boys in NYC if you want to do something useful.

FM
Originally Posted by caribny:

And yet Indo Caribbean boys in NYC do little better.  Best you focus on the reasons why.

Was your report done by OECD ? If so post it.

Why are you not addressing the issue in this OECD report which is of epidemic proportion ?

FM
Originally Posted by BGurd_See:

I have had this discussion with caribj for years

And yet many Indo Caribbean boys in NYC are failing but you do not care.

If you want to help go help them.  

FM
we cannot bury our heads in the sand while this number may pass 72 percent as time goes by.

What do you plan to do about it, other than using it as an excuse to pound your racism.

Why holler racism ? This report is from the OECD and is of epidemic proportion. 

FM

is THAT your new 'trick' ? . . . absorbing yuh blows, turning to the gallery, grinning through no-teeth, mumbling . . . "ah tearin tail nah?"

Nah, you ain't, but if it makes you feel motivated, ok.

FM

Was this a from a report done by OECD.

Why are you not addressing the issue in this OECD report which is of epidemic proportion ?

So why don't you furnish stats indicating that Indo Carib boys in NYC are all graduating college and entering upper tier professions.

Given that even you know this not to be the case I suggest that you have enough to do without worrying about black males.  You hate blacks so please stop pretending that this issue is anything other than a plot by you to excuse your racism.

FM

Why holler racism ? This report is from the OECD and is of epidemic proportion. 

Why does this issue concern you?  

Tell you what?  Does an IndoCarib boy growing up in a home where his drunk father beats up his mother exist in a healthy environment.  Why do you think that suicides among IndoCarib males rank among the highest in the Americas?

It appears as if you have many problems at home....but you will ignore it as you pretend that all is well among Indo Caribs.

Another issue for you to ponder.  Chinese also came to the Caribbean as Indentures.  Their descendants have done MUCH BETTER than those of IndoCarib descent.   Why is that?  You both entered the Caribbean under the SAME circumstances.

FM
Originally Posted by BGurd_See:

I have had this discussion with caribj for years

And yet many Indo Caribbean boys in NYC are failing but you do not care.

If you want to help go help them.  

Carib, is your source the OECD ? If so post it.

FM

Nah, you ain't, but if it makes you feel motivated, ok.

is the descent into incoherency your new 'escape' route bai?

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.